The MSB Links Page
Surf the Sustainable Future
|The Canadian Home Builders'
Association Builders' Manual
||You HAVE to know the things in this book to get
the best value for your building dollar in cold climate construction. The
Canadian Home Builders' Association has separated the wheat from the chaff
and put together a benchmark reference and how-to book for builders.
Oil quadrupled in price in 1973. People in -40F prairie Saskatchewan
were in danger of either freezing in their houses or going broke.
This led to the development of "The Saskatchewan Conserver House"
by the Saskatchewan Research Council in 1977. In a 12,000 degree-day climate,
this house heats with electricity for $35 per year. This building demonstrated
that air tight construction is practical and can drastically reduce energy
consumption. It turned into the successful Canadian R-2000
program - many of its provisions have found their way into the National
Building Code of Canada.
|Sustainable Building Sources||Based on the City of Austin's Greenbuilder Program, comprehensive online resource.|
|Environmental Building News||The leading periodical in the field. Their archive
of feature articles is one of the highest quality collections of sustainable
design and construction information on the Net.
|The Sustainable Home||Worth a visit. Good Resource on natural building techniques|
|Interesting research paper by Dr. John Straube, building research professor at the University of Waterloo, Ontario.|
|Vital Signs Resource Packages||A uniquely high quality collection of resources for learning about many fundamental aspects of building performance: thermal mass, air flows, windows and shading, daylighting, etc. Located at UCal. at Berkeley Center for Environmental Design Research.|
|Life Cycle Analysis of a Residential Home in Michigan||Master's thesis by Steve Blanchard and Peter Reppe
Surfin' Strawbale Links
|Strawbale construction is one of the hotbeds of the sustainable construction movement today. Extensive annotated list of links that plugs you directly into the scene. Want to help some monks in the New Mexico desert build their new monastery? Check here!|
|Indoor Air Quality, Healthy Buildings, and Breathing Walls||by John Straube and V. Acahrya.
Excellent technical discussion of how different types of walls affect indoor air quality and occupant health. Interesting test results and computer modelling results. Recommended reading if you are evaluating different house construction systems.
|Home Power Magazine||Extensive on line library of back issues. The Feb/March '96
issue has a good article on masonry heating systems.
|Architecture Week||Great linked list of environmental architecture articles|
Treated Wastewater in Domestic Housing:
The Toronto Healthy House
|by Rolf Paloheimo, Creative Communities.
The current state of the art, on a small urban infill lot.
|The Toilet Papers: Recycling Waste and Conserving Water||by Sim Van der Ryn
1995 edition, Ecological Design Press, $10.95
Reprint of the classic 1978 book on building composting toilets. We built a Clivus Minimus 15 years ago and love it.
The Encyclopedia of Earth, where Prof. Cleveland is an editor/director, has made amazing progress in its short history attempting to become an academic/content based web clearinghouse for information on earth and our environment.
|The Humanure Handbook||by Joseph Jenkins
All time classic. Buy the book, or download for free.
|Energy Design Tools||Free software allows you to predict the performance of your passive solar design.|
|Radiant Flooring Primer||located at Energy Source Builder, a quality resource.|
|Buildium's Green Building Resource Guide||Checklist of greenbuilding features to look for.|
An Environmentalist's Guide to Responsible Wood Heating
by John Gulland
A Guide To Residential Wood Heating
Excellent overview from the Canadian government
This is Wood Heat
The straight goods on burning wood for heat and enjoyment in your home. Recommended.
A Simple Test Can Spot Carbon Monoxide Danger
- View the Latest Images
- from masonry heater combustion testing at Lopez Labs
- All About Woodsmoke
- Excellent article by John Gulland. Recommended.
located at Energy Source Builder
- OMNI Environmental Services, Inc.
- Premier private industry test lab, Portland Oregon
- Lopez Labs Archives
- Technical papers on masonry heater emissions R&D
Sustainability and Bioregionalism Links
- Green Sense - Examples of how people are making their visions of sustainability real
- Woodburning, forestry and global warming
- A scholarly paper on woodburning and the forest. Recommended reading.
The Carbohydrate Economy Clearinghouse
- Wood Products Certification & Sustainability WWW Sites
Leading edge real world projects such as ecological tax reform
- Virtual Library: Forestry
- From Finland, the spiritual home of masonry heating.
- Virtual Library: Biodiversity, Ecology and the Environment
- From Rice Universtity. Great resource. .
- Resource Development and Wildlife
- Setting Tile
by Michael Byrne
Michael Byrne knows more about the hands-on and theory of tile than just about anybody. Better yet, he knows how to communicate. One of the best masonry books I've ever read - I learned a lot from it, and I've been a mason for 30 years.
- The Roman Pantheon: The Triumph of Concrete
Articles and Research by David Moore, P.E.
- Great information site by the strawbale listserver's resident lime afficionado
- Earth Materials
- A very extensive, first rate resource brought to you by The Sustainable Building Sourcebook
- Concrete Countertops
Detailed step-by-step instructions. The rest of the site is worth a look as well.
- Construction with Surface Bonding
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Information Bulletin No. 374 (1974). Located on our server.
- FerroCement News Group
Learn more about this synergistic material.
- Cast Earth
- Interesting new technology. If it works as advertised, it will revolutionize adobe and rammed earth construction. See story in March 1997 issue of Fine Homebuilding.
- The Cob Cottage Company
- Earth is probably still the world's commonest building material. Cob building uses hands and feet to form lumps of earth mixed with sand and straw, a sensory and aesthetic experience similar to sculpting with clay.
- Buckley Rumford Co.
Very extensive information on Rumford fireplaces. Useful masonry industry links.
- Pumice-crete Building Systems of New Mexico
- Alternative Building Methods working toward a sustainable, energy-independent, and resource efficient society. These guys are the experts in pumice-crete.
- E. W. Evans, Brick Layer & Plasterer
- "My parents were slaves on the plantation of John H. Hill, a slave owner in Madison, Georgia". Fascinating interview done as part of the WPA project during the Great Depression.
This page last updated on May 14, 2015
This page was created in June, 1996